Louise Whelan began her career with a business degree and worked in the safe net of the corporate world, however her unwavering passion for the arts soon won out and she studied at Ultimo TAFE in order to complete an Advanced Certificate III in Photography. Her 15 year photographic practice is diverse, working across various fields from documentary and fine art photography through to corporate editorial work and stills on films. Louise photographs for the State and National Libraries of Australia. Her current work includes documenting the diverse ethnic communities that make up Australia for the State and National Libraries.
Louise is an award wining photographer who is widely published and awarded. She has exhibited nationally and internationally. In 2013 Louise received a Highly Commended Award At the National Photographic Portrait Prize presented by the then Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
Louise’s first monograph NEW SETTLERS was published in 2013 by T&G Publishing, the book is currently being distributed throughout Europe, both her monograph and photographs are held in many national and international collections, including , Photo Ireland international book library , The Asia Pacific Photo Book archive, The State Library of NSW, WA and the National Library Canberra.The State Library of NSW is currently exhibiting Louise’s work as a solo show called HOME which is exhibiting from April 2014 to the end of August 2014. During June of this year her first prize in the Documentary section of The Julia Margaret Cameron Award 2012 UK will be exhibited in Borges Cultural Center in Buenos Aires in Corner of Viamonte and San Martín, Buenos Aires, Argentina .
- Finalist in the National Photographic Portrait Prize 2013 National Portrait Prize Canberra
- Semi Finalist Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize 2013
- Finalist Sydney Life Hyde Park 2013
- 1st Prize Category Documentary and Editorial The Julia Margaret Cameron Award 2012 UK
- Finalist National Photographic Portrait Prize Australia 2012, National Portrait Gallery Canberra
- Finalist in Sydney Life Art in the Park Oct 2012
- Finalist Portraits Section The Julia Margaret Cameron Award 2012 UK
- Highly commended Renaissance Photography Prize 2012 Mall Galleries London 2012.
- Winner of the Critics Choice Head On Portrait Prize 2012. Australian Centre for Photography
- Honorable Mention The Pollux Awards Biennial International Exhibition, The Palais de Glace in Buenos Aires, Argentina 2012
- Finalist Queensland Centre for Photography Portrait Prize 2012 Exhibited April 2012
- Finalist Musselbrook Photography Prize Mussellbrook Regional Gallery 2012 Exhibited March April 2012
- Semi finalist Moran Photographic Prize 2012
- Finalist in the 2011 Moran Photographic Prize 2011
- 3rd Prize Portraits July Pollux Awards 2011
- 2nd Prize Plein Air NSW Parliamentary Landscape Photo Prize NSW 2011
- Finalist Art and About Sydney Life Photographic Exhibition Hyde Park 2011
- Finalist 2011 Olive Cotton Portrait Prize 2011
- Finalist Shoot the Chef Crave International Food Festival Sydney 2011
- Finalist Kings Cross Photo Prize. 2011
- 2nd Prize House Plein Air NSW Parliamentary Photo Prize NSW Parliament House 2011
- Winner of The Clerk Of The House Plein Air NSW Parliamentary Photo Prize NSW Parliament House 2010
- Open Finalist Moran Photo Prize State Library NSW 2010
- Shortlist Headon Portrait Prize ACP 2010
- Silver Award for portraiture in the AIPP Awards 2004