Welcome to the 2018 Moran Contemporary Photography Prize
The Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize invites photographic entries that interpret ‘Contemporary Life in Australia’ with an emphasis on day-to-day life.
Total Prizes $80,000
First Prize: $50,000 (Fifty Thousand Dollars)
All Finalists: $1,000
Midnight Wednesday 7 March, 2018
International Judge: Cheryl Newman
International Judge: Jon Jones
Australian Judge Raphaela Rosella
The 2018 Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize Exhibition will be held at Juniper Hall, Paddington NSW from Saturday 5 May 2018.
To ensure our emails do not end up in your Junk Inbox, add our email address firstname.lastname@example.org into your address book.
Please read the following Terms and Conditions of Entry before finalising your entry.
CALL FOR ENTRIES IN THE 2018 MORAN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHIC PRIZE (MCPP)
Entry form, acceptance of the Terms and Conditions and a non-refundable entry fee of $25 per work must be completed and paid online at www.moranprizes.com.au by the MCPP 2018 closing date and time: Midnight AEST Wednesday March 7, 2018.
Please take care to enter all details accurately. Once submitted, entries are final and cannot be altered.
Cheryl Newman – International independent curator, consultant and photographer from the U.K.
Jon Jones - International independent photo editor, curator, and consultant from the U.K.
Raphaela Rosella - Australian documentary artist
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY - OPEN SECTION
1. The photographer must be over the age of 18 years as at the MCPP closing date, Midnight AEST Wednesday March 7, 2018.
2. All photographers must be an Australian citizen or resident for at least one year prior to the MCPP closing date, Midnight AEST Wednesday March 7, 2018.
3. Entries to the Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize 2018 – Open Section must:
- be an original work, completed and owned by the submitting photographer,
- be still, photo-based artwork, including analogue and digital photography or staged and directorial photo-media work, and
- have been taken between September 1, 2016 and March 7, 2018.
- have been taken in Australia
- when printed be no larger than A0(841mm x 1189mm) in size
4. The Prize is acquisitive and the printed winning framed photograph immediately becomes the property of the Moran Arts Foundation. [The photographer still retains copyright]
HOW TO ENTER
5. Each entry must be submitted online as a jpg, png, or gif file between 4MB & 8MB via www.moranprizes.com.au accompanied with a completed entry form and a non-refundable entry fee of $25 for each photograph submitted.
6. Any photographs that are watermarked will not be accepted.
7. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected entries.
8. Semi-finalist photographs will be selected by the judges. All entered works will be viewed onscreen.
9. Photographers whose works have been chosen as semi-finalists will be notified by email or telephone of their success. Unsuccessful entrants are not personally notified.
10. ALL semi-finalist entries will be published on www.moranprizes.com.au and may also be used for advertising and promotion of the Moran Prize and Moran Arts Foundation in any form of media now known or yet to be devised, both from the date the semi-finalists are announced and in future years.
11. From the semi-finalists the judges will select thirty finalists.
12. All thirty finalists will receive one thousand dollars.
13. The thirty finalists selected will form the 2018 Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize Finalist Exhibition to be held at Juniper Hall, Paddington NSW from Saturday May 5, 2018.
14. Photographers whose works have been chosen as finalists will be notified by email or telephone of their success and are required to deliver their works to Juniper Hall by Friday April 27, 2018.
15. Before delivery to the Sydney judging venue, entrants' must ensure their works are clearly marked on the back with the following items:
- entry to MCPP 2018,
- title of photograph,
- date of execution,
- photographer's name,
- photographer's phone number.
16. All works must be suitably framed or mounted and wrapped with bubblewrap for safe handling. Perspex, no glass please. The back of each work must be fitted with a 2-point hanging system (D-ring latches preferred). Moran Arts Foundation reserves the right to replace the entrant’s hanging device at its own cost and absolute discretion.
17. All finalists must ensure they return a PDF of their signed photographers' finalist entry form which will be emailed to them when they are notified.
18. Moran Arts Foundation reserves the right to exhibit or display finalists’ works at additional venues to be determined by Moran Arts Foundation until December 31, 2019 as part of the 2018 MCPP Travelling Exhibition.
19. Finalist photographs (excluding the winning photograph) will be returned free of charge to their designated state collection depot at the conclusion of the 2018 MCPP Travelling Exhibition for immediate collection by the photographer, at a date to be confirmed.
19. From the thirty finalist works the judges will decide on the 2018 MCPP FIRST PRIZE WINNER.
20. The 2018 MCPP FIRST PRIZE Winner of $50,000 First Prize money will be announced publicly at the opening of the 2018 Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize Finalist Exhibition on Tuesday May 8, 2018 at Juniper Hall, Paddington NSW.
21. In consideration of the monetary prize, the FIRST PRIZE WINNER assigns a non-exclusive licence in his or her winning photograph entered and exhibited in the 2018 MCPP to the Moran Arts Foundation. This assignment will take effect immediately upon announcement of the Winner, and is absolute, irrevocable and applies throughout the world. As a condition of his or her receipt of the monetary prize, the Winner must sign a written form of assignment to give effect to the assignment contemplated by this clause.
22. The photographer warrants that the work submitted is original and does not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party and that he or she owns all rights and interests in the work submitted. The photographer will indemnify and keep indemnified the Moran Arts Foundation against any claim by a third party in relation to the work.
23. Copyright ownership in all of the photographs entered and/or exhibited will remain with the photographer.
24. In consideration of the publicity and exposure they receive from their work being exhibited in the 2018 Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize, each semi-finalist grants to the Moran Arts Foundation, touring partners and sponsors a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide and royalty-free licence to use his or her photograph entered and exhibited in the 2018 Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize for the advertising and promotion of the Moran Prize in any form of media now known or yet to be devised, both from the date the finalists are announced and in future years. Entrants acknowledge and agree that the Moran Arts Foundation is not liable to pay the semi-finalist photographers any fee, royalty or other form of remuneration for this right.
26. Photographers are advised to insure their works against loss or damage during the 2018 MCPP competition periods of travelling, handling, judging, exhibition and storage. All reasonable care is taken with all entries but the Moran Arts Foundation takes no responsibility whatsoever for loss or damage however caused to any works submitted.
27. The judges have absolute discretion in selecting the finalists and winner and the judges' decision will be final and not subject to discussion or appeal and no correspondence will be entered into.
28. The organisers of the competition reserve the right to declare ineligible any work that does not conform to their interpretation of the terms of the Conditions of Entry. The Moran Arts Foundation and the judges have absolute discretion in determining the eligibility of an entry and no discussion, appeal or correspondence will be entered into.
30. Employees and relatives of the organisers of the competition and of Moran associated entities are ineligible to enter.
I have read all the terms and conditions of entry and agree to abide by them.
By ticking this box you are legally bound to these terms and conditions.